Heritage Homemade Monkey Bread
FOR THE DOUGH
- 3-1/4 to 3-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 packet Fleischmann's® RapidRise® Yeast — 2 1/4 teaspoons
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup milk — whole, 2%, 1% or nonfat
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/4 cup butter — sliced into tablespoons
- 1 egg
FOR THE FILLING:
- 1 cup brown sugar — packed
- 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 cup butter — melted
- 6 tablespoons BSB Brown Sugar Bourbon
- It’s best to use a stand mixer fitted with a dough hook. You can also do this by hand or with an electric mixer, but it will take longer.
- Combine 2 cups flour, sugar, dry yeast and salt in a large mixer bowl and whisk until blended.
- Combine milk, water and butter in a microwave-safe bowl or measuring cup.Microwave on HIGH in 15 second increments until very warm but not hot to the touch, about a minute (120° to 130°F; butter won’t melt completely). Add to flour mixture with egg.
- Beat 2 minutes at medium speed, scraping bowl occasionally. Add another 1 cup flour; beat 2 minutes at high speed, scraping bowl occasionally. Stir in just enough remaining flour so that the dough will form into a ball.
- Knead on lightly floured surface until smooth and elastic and dough springs back when lightly pressed with 2 fingers, about 6 to 8 minutes. Cover with a towel; let rest for 10 minutes.
- Combine brown sugar and cinnamon in a small bowl. Place melted butter and BSB in another small bowl.
- Cut dough into 36 pieces (cut in half, cut each half in thirds and each third into thirds again, then each third in halves).Dip each piece into the melted butter/BSB mixture and then roll in the cinnamon sugar mixture.
- Spray pan with cooking spray. Place dough into pan. Combine remaining butter/BSB mixture and sugar and drizzle over rolls. Cover with towel; let rise in warm placeuntil doubled in size, about 45 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 375°F. See below for pan instructions:
- 9x13-inch baking dish: place dough pieces into single layer. After rising, bake for about 20 minutes or until golden and cooked through.
- Fluted tube pan or Bundt pan: bake for about 30 minutes, or until golden and cooked through.
- Two 9x5-inch bread pans: bake for about 20 minutes, or until golden and cooked through.
- 12 monkey bread muffins: place 3 pieces in each greased muffin cup. Bake for about 20 minutes, or until golden and cooked through.
Thanks to Daiea of Belgrade Liquor for creating this amazing and delicious recipe!!