Heritage Homemade Monkey Bread
FOR THE DOUGH
- 3-1/4 to 3-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 packet Fleischmann's® RapidRise® Yeast — 2 1/4 teaspoons
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup milk — whole, 2%, 1% or nonfat
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/4 cup butter — sliced into tablespoons
- 1 egg
FOR THE FILLING:
- 1 cup brown sugar — packed
- 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 cup butter — melted
- 6 tablespoons BSB Brown Sugar Bourbon
- It’s best to use a stand mixer fitted with a dough hook. You can also do this by hand or with an electric mixer, but it will take longer.
- Combine 2 cups flour, sugar, dry yeast and salt in a large mixer bowl and whisk until blended.
- Combine milk, water and butter in a microwave-safe bowl or measuring cup. Microwave on HIGH in 15 second increments until very warm but not hot to the touch, about a minute (120° to 130°F; butter won’t melt completely). Add to flour mixture with egg.
- Beat 2 minutes at medium speed, scraping bowl occasionally. Add another 1 cup flour; beat 2 minutes at high speed, scraping bowl occasionally. Stir in just enough remaining flour so that the dough will form into a ball.
- Knead on lightly floured surface until smooth and elastic and dough springs back when lightly pressed with 2 fingers, about 6 to 8 minutes. Cover with a towel; let rest for 10 minutes.
- Combine brown sugar and cinnamon in a small bowl. Place melted butter and BSB in another small bowl.
- Cut dough into 36 pieces (cut in half, cut each half in thirds and each third into thirds again, then each third in halves). Dip each piece into the melted butter/BSB mixture and then roll in the cinnamon sugar mixture.
- Spray pan with cooking spray. Place dough into pan. Combine remaining butter/BSB mixture and sugar and drizzle over rolls. Cover with towel; let rise in warm place until doubled in size, about 45 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 375°F. See below for pan instructions:
- 9x13-inch baking dish: place dough pieces into single layer. After rising, bake for about 20 minutes or until golden and cooked through.
- Fluted tube pan or Bundt pan: bake for about 30 minutes, or until golden and cooked through.
- Two 9x5-inch bread pans: bake for about 20 minutes, or until golden and cooked through.
- 12 monkey bread muffins: place 3 pieces in each greased muffin cup. Bake for about 20 minutes, or until golden and cooked through.
Thanks to Daiea of Belgrade Liquor for creating this amazing and delicious recipe!!